Friday, August 29, 2008

Reality Check

This morning, as I was lying in bed, feeling relieved that I was not nauseous and sweaty anymore (I hate Gatorade, but I have to admit it really does the trick for dehydration) the kids came and piled up on the bed. After getting them situated with movies so Sami could sleep some more, I came onine to check my emails and read some blogs and chill out for a few moments of quiet time.

From time to time, a blog will bring my attention to an event or need or catastrophy - and it is always such a reality check. Today, that reality check was provided by www.cjanerun.com and www.designmom.com

A young family - mom, dad, and 4 kids, are in the middle of one of those times in life that tends to make everyone who hears about it remember to connect with their fellow man, and celebrate their daily life. Not to get preachy and weird, here, but the two young parents, Stephanie and Christian, were in a small plane crash and remain in drug induced comas in a burn center in Arizona. It is going to be a very long haul. Can you imagine if something even close to that extreme happened to your family or friends ? What would you DO ? And what if it happened to you ? Yeah, well, just think about it. Then go wiggle your toes in the sunshine, and enjoy your life a bit.

Today, in my own personal celebration of life, I am going to the Kea Lani to hang out and eat some fine food with my co-workers and friends. And I will appreciate the experience all the more, remembering that I have health, and family, and home and friends.......and that I am not in a burn unit struggling for my life and having skin scraping surgeries and god knows what else. My thoughts are with the Nielsons. I had never heard of them until this morning, and now, they will be in my heart.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Isn't it sad? I've been reading about them for a few days. A definite priority aligner, for sure.

I'm so glad they have such a large and close-by family support network.