Friday, February 5, 2010

World Traveler Part 14: Bringing it all back home

And so we come ot the end of our tales of Thailand.

For now.

I am sure I am going to remember some weird parts of the trip from time to time, and write about it.....but I need to get back to sharing all the crazy shit that goes on in our wacky day to day life. We're a zany bunch over here. (Okay, no, not really, but still, we do stuff. Stuff I could write about.)

Over all, traveling to Thailand was amazing, we saw some beautiful things, met some beautiful people, and I can't imagine not having that experience. It's not just about going somewhere new and different. It's about taking a chance, doing something kind of wild and unplanned and impetuous....and surviving.

Our experience was such a positive one in every way. On a serious note, I just want to encourage anyone reading this to consider taking a week or two and going somewhere far far away. Somewhere foreign and strange and intimidating. Leave your comfort zone, and take a risk. And the money thing works itself out - it really does. It's never the perfect time to do something....sometimes you just have to do it.
Do it for yourself.
Do it for someone you love.
Do it for someone who can't.
Do it for someone who won't.

I have a list of places I want to go. I am going to add to it, and I am going to do more then just dream about visitng. I am going to save my pennies, pack my duffle bags, load up the family, grab my Visa and go.
Greece
Italy
Bali
Maldives
India
France
Tahiti
I will take a train, ride a bus, fly in a plane, sail on a ship, do whatever I have to do to show my kids the world. There are adults in Hawaii who have never left their home island. Never taken the 25 minute flight to another county, seen another shore line. They have spent their entire lives on a small island in the middle of the Pacific. And while this is my home, I will leave, from time to time, and bring back strange and wonderful tales of adventure. From my paradise to yours.

No comments: