Monday, September 7, 2009

She's crafty

Today we were rocking out in the car, heads nodding in unison to the beat. The beat of my beloveds......The Beastie Boys. The Beastie Boys is the only rap music (wait, is it even rap music ? Oh god I sound like my mother) I can listen to without feeling like a complete fraud/poser. I'm not saying I can pull it off - I'm sure I still look like an idiot bobbing along to the Beastie Boys. But I don't feel as awkward as I do trying to bop along to, say Snoop Dog.

Anyway, as I was saying, we were driving today, with the volume turned way up, all of us bouncing and shouting and singing along. I can only imagine what other drivers thought of us as we pulled up to the intersection, with the bass booming and our heads keeping time and then every so often the kids will shout out the last word of the lyric for emphasis, finger jabbing with enthusiasm.

So there we are, grooving along, and suddenly in the opening lyrics of "She's Crafty" Lucy screams "IT'S ME ! IT'S A SONG ABOUT MEEEEEEEE!"

And I'm all "for the love of CHRIST it's not about you. Everything in this world is not about you ! How can you possibly try to make the claim that a Beastie Boy's song from 20 years ago is about YOU ?"

And she looks me in the eye in the rearview mirror and says "Play it again."

So I do. Sitting there in the Walmart parking lot, with the rain pouring down, we play it again from the beginning.

And damned if she isn't right.

First we had to deal with "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" and now this

1 comment:

Brittany at Mommy Words said...

I love this! Only rap I listen to as well and are you saying I can't pull it off??? Uh oh! That is great - everything is about the girls is it not? Sophia is pretty sure everything is about her. She changes the words of all songs to say Sophia. I am done arguing.