Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Reality Check

Yesterday, very shortly after writing the previous post, I got a phone call from a friend. She sounded awful. And right away I was all "you haven't called me in months and you sound AWFUL what's going on."

And suddenly, all of my whining about empty bassinets and being seperated from the foster baby and depression and frustration and red tape and blah de blah blah blah all snapped sharply into focus and I was humbled.

My friend was calling to tell me that a mutual friend, expecting a baby girl in about 8 weeks, had just gone to the hospital to be induced. Because her baby's heart had stopped beating at some point.

(pause)

So. I sat in a ball, clutching my heaving stomach, and thinking about my friend. About my friend - the second friend I know who has been through this horrible, unspeakably awful tragedy of losing a pregnancy in the third trimester.

Basically, I am writing this to remind me, and everyone else, of how precious life is. Do not take it for granted. Because it can be taken from you at any time, even before birth.

1 comment:

derfina said...

I have a friend who went through the same thing. Absolutely horrible to have to go through labor knowing what the end result is going to be. I will be praying for her.