Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Things that would be awesome

As we launch into a New Year, I am looking straight ahead. I am not in the mood to reminisce or reflect on a damn thing.

2008. We survived. woohoo.

There are a lot of things I am looking forward to, hoping for, dreaming of......things that scare me a little, sometimes......but I think a healthy dose of fear is a good survival strategy.

Here are just a few of the things I am anticipating in oh-nine - some with more joy then others.


Taking a family vacation that does not involve visiting family. We try to do this once a year. With our current finances, it may not be possible, but I am going to do my damndest.

Lucy starting nursery school. The baby is officially not a baby anymore.

Weaning off of a few of my many, many jobs. Because I do so many things so part time, I find myself feeling like Jack of all trades, master of none. I need to focus, people.

Finishing the house. Oh, to dream.

The births of a cousin, a second cousin, and some other new arrivals.

One full year without abdominal surgery or any other weird medical issues requiring unpleasant testing.

Mastering the art of indian food - curries, in particular, are kicking my ass. Why can't I make a decent curry ? WHY ???

And then, there's the whole Swearing In of the New President. May he meet and exceed my expectations, and lead this country in a way that is inclusive, positive, straightforward and honest. May he consult advisors of different backgrounds, beliefs and experiences. May he reassure the millions of Americans that feel disenfranchised, that are disappointed or afraid or fed up. He is stepping into a job that I would never, ever wish on anyone - but it has to be done, and I think he is a good choice to take on the myriad challenges of being President of the United States in 2009. I don't know how it's all going to turn out, but the very act of voting is an act of faith. Faith that your vote will be counted. That your vote will bring better days.


And really, that's it. For 2009, I am anticipating better days. I have held on, waiting for this day, this year, this time in my life. And it's here. I'm ready.

Bring it on.

1 comment:

derfina said...

Thank you last craving of the old year that I will take with me into the new-I love curry and the Unit doesn't, so it will be February before I can make any!

Happy New Year!