Monday, November 24, 2008

The saga of Sami and his drivers license.

To properly explain this, I have to tell the story backwards.

A few years ago, we were going on a trip to the mainland. Sami informed me, a few days before we were leaving, that he had lost his drivers license. Crap. I told him to go to the DMV and get another one. He went, and tried, and came back with a state ID, but didn't have a new license for a reason I cannot recall now.

So we went on our trip. And he didn't have his drivers license, so I had to rent and drive the car all by myself. I was pissed.

And then, finally, I asked him to drive the car one day, because I was really tired, and wanted a break. He explained that actually he couldn't drive, because he had lost his license.
My reply was "Whatever, give them your name if you get pulled over - they can look it up."
He got quiet.
"What, jesus, I just want a break from driving !"
"Well....see."
"WHAT, dude, just drive the car. Christ !"
"Well, I lost my driver's license for speeding. Actually."

(long pause)

"WHAT?!?!?!"

"Um, yeah, I got a speeding ticket and I lost my license."

"OK, listen here. I have two things to say to you. First, you did not "lose" your license. Someone fucking took it away from you. Second, you do NOT lose your license for ONE FUCKING TICKET. You just don't."

"Well, I was going pretty fast."

So needless to say, it did not bode well for the rest of the vacation.

Fast forward to THIS trip. We get to the East Coast. All is good. Flights on time. Weather is fine. We go to the correct car rental agency (something that does not always happen). I go to the counter with our driver's licenses.

And the lovely woman tells me that actually, she cannot put Sami on as a driver.
Because his license is expired.

I turned around and gave him the finger out the window. He looked at me like "What ? What did I do ?"

Then we got in the car, and I drove for 6 hours straight, jetlagged and really REALLY pissed off. Every so often, he would offer to drive, like when I was nodding off on I-95. And every time, I would look over my shoulder and glare at him with a look that would peel the hair off a monkey.


You would think I would be used to this. Sami has had his driver's license taken away many a time (at least 3 times that I can remember). Because he drives very fast. You know, he's from Massachusetts, and they have a special name for Massachusetts drivers for a reason.

Yes indeedy, my husband is an honest to goodness, dyed in the wool Masshole.

So ANYWAY. When I met this man, he had no job (he was laid off) and no driver's license (lost it for multiple speeding violations). Hot, right ? Yeah, I thought so too. Married him RIGHT AWAY before someone else snapped him up !

So needless to say - I knew what I was getting myself into, so I should not be surprised - or angry.

Right ?

2 comments:

derfina said...

Uh, Daff? Me love you long time, honey.

However, you have EVERY FARKING RIGHT to be both surprised and pissed and ohmygoddess stop me cuz this time I, have been drinking but if I could grab that man up by the gonads and jerk some sense into him for you right now, I would-or else he'd be suffering from one snot slinging case of whiplash. Sounds like there was a whole lot more lust involved here than rational thinking. I know you have kids, and that you love him, but what about YOU???

Hobocamp Crafts said...

Glad to hear you're not bitter about the whole license thing! :) But really I hope you guys are having fun and we'll see you soon!!- hopefully ahem we'll all be seeing someone else soon too. Be careful on the road- crazies- out there.