Thursday, October 2, 2008

OK, TODAY is the county fair.

Yesterday, I was all in a tizz, because I thought it was the county fair. The opening day of the county fair involves a massive (by Maui standards) parade, where almost every child on island seems to walk the route for one organization or another. For the past 6 years, I have managed to avoid this parade, but it cannot be put off any longer. Max begged and begged to join the Boy Scouts, and against my better judgement he is now a member of a pack, or den, or something like that, and they will be marching in the parade.

Never mind that it's a school night.
Never mind that we have to be there almost immediately after school to get ready (and find a parking spot).
Never mind that he won't get any homework done.

We are going to town to watch the parade and take lots of pictures of Max doing his thing, and staying for the fair, and eating fried twinkies and God Knows What Else, and having the TIME OF OUR FUCKING LIVES (for less then $50, I hope, cause that's all I have from tips yesterday).

Even though fairs eat away at my mental health in every way imaginable - from the dirt to the germs to the grease to the dangerous rides to the crowds to the porta-potties - I am trying like hell to be a good sport about this. No matter what you and I learned from that John Travolta movie, I have been told that you can't live life in a bubble. How Unfortunate.

Today will be filled with lots of fun, and chaos, and noise, and sugar. There is just no getting around it - so I am gonna embrace it with all my strength. It is going to be a wild ride. Just not the Fireball. Because that ride will make me puke.

1 comment:

Meaghan said...

I love fairs. I use to live in Mass. and there were great fall fairs. Now I'm in FL and they aren't the same at all. Have fun!

-Meaghan