Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Are you itchy, or is it just me?

Raging start to the day.
Within 10 minutes of my waking up, Lucy peed the bed, and Max discovered that he had lice.

I just cannot properly express the joy that a parent feels when (seperate but equally awful) catastrophy strikes each of their children concurrently. I know this was hardly a disaster, but short-term, it was a real pain in the ass. The jack and jill discoveries required 6 loads of laundry, complete changes of clothes and bedding, 4 shampoos and 2 conditioners, plus scalp massages and a good dose of lysol - for pee and bugs - on the mattresses, and a complete spray treatment of all upholstered furniture in addition to our car.....

The irony is that lice (uku) do not discriminate, and they spread like a wildfire set by idiot teenagers set by lighters in South Kihei (sorry, tangent). For example, Max takes at least 2 showers a day. He is in the shower for at least 30 minutes. He soaks, and shampoos, and conditions, and scrubs - and yet, he still was stricken with these damned parasites. And of course, since he has them, we all have to be treated *just in case*. So immediately, as soon as I realized what was going on in his hair, I began to itch uncontrollably. Sympathy uku is as real a condition as actual ukus.

After a thorough de-lousing, Max headed off to school to be inspected by the school nurse and cleared for attendence. She said he looked great, and now, with all of us stinking of lice treatment (which smells like a flea bath for dogs) Lucy and I headed to Walmart to restock our supply of Rid. Then we went to the aquarium so I could decompress and take a laundry break, while she ran around like a lunatic with her friends. It's Sunny's birthday today (Happy birthday sunny-bunny we love you !) so the girls had a fine old time doing laps around the Maui Ocean Center. We tried to take pictures, but it didn't work out so good.

Now we're finishing up dinner (steak, fried rice, and broccoli, with Hawaiian Ice Cups for dessert) and then it's off to Dr. Tracey's for our adjustments and finally, home to bed. Blessed, blessed bedtime. I feel like I have had at least a week's worth of trauma packed into 12 hours. I cannot wait to zone out and snooze........

1 comment:

Robin said...

Read this, including the natural treatment I mention in the comments :). It will change your life. Knock on wood, throw salt over my shoulders, etc. we haven't had lice in YEARS, since we started with this! Thank god.

PS Sympathize lice also travel online apparently - my own head is itching just from reading this. *shudder*