Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Bangkok: not just a schoolyard game

OK, I woke up this morning and I did it.
I put on my big girl panties.
I threw caution to the wind.
I was impulsive. Impetuous. Irresponsible.

I booked tickets to Bangkok.
For Tuesday morning.

One week from today.

We don't have valid passports. I made an appointment at the Passport Agency to get those.
For Monday morning.

One day before we leave.

We didn't have anyone to watch the house and the dogs. I found a housesitter who is available.
For the next two weeks.

My husband's boss is on vacation, and not around to approve the vacation time.
My husband left him a voicemail.

We haven't actually budgeted for this kind of outrageous expenditure once-in-a-lifetime adventure.
............

Sorry, I got nothing for that one. This is such a stupid idea. But I'm doing it anyway.
I am sure this is going to work out JUST FINE (breathe. Keep breathing. Here's a paper bag.)

I have no idea where we are staying. Or what we are going to do once we actually land in Bangkok. Or if we'll have jobs when we get back. I didn't find anyone to cover my shifts, I am just hoping that by some chance my co-workers will want the extra hours. When my husband's bossman gets back to work next week, he will find my husband gone-baby-gone. Because that is how you get last minute vacation time: you make your plans while your boss is away.....on vacation.

I wish we could have planned this better. I wish I was better prepared. I wish I wasn't worried. I wish this sort of thing was easier for me. I hope I can relax enough to actually have FUN.

We're going. We're just going. No we haven't thought it through, and that is kind of the point.
2010 is going to be off to a roaring start - and this is the first of many surprises I have in my back pocket.

Stick around, it's going to be a doozy.

No comments: