Sunday, September 28, 2008

I'm in love, and his name is Linus

Deep breath folks, it's true confessions time once again here at Adventures in Paradise.

I just (JUST !) wrote a column about how I was not a pet person. How I just didn't really like animals as pets. How I had problems with shedding, and litter boxes, and all the other details and responsiblities that come with pet ownership.

And then yesterday, I was walking through Lahaina, on a back street that I have never walked down in my life, and I came up a tropical plant store. In the window of that store was Linus.

All I can say is, the world stood still, and my heart skipped a beat, and we exchanged a long look that said everything without saying a word. I could practically feel my cellular make-up shifting under my skin. I went from not really wanting a pet, to needing to BUY a pet. I'm not talking about falling in love at the animal shelter - I was actually ready to hand over my AMEX and walk out with a pet.

I didn't, I am trying (trying SO HARD) to control myself. Alack and Alas, I am afraid I may end up returning to Lahaina (the land of the unbearable sun) for my beloved. Leaving him behind left a pain in my heart.

Oh Linus.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Oh my GOD! If you don't go back and get him, I might be forced to! Vanessa...he is darling!

Look at those eyes! OMG!

Anonymous said...

I can see why you are so enthralled....