Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Life list. Refined.

Oh, life list. How's it hanging? I hate that "updating my life list" somehow found itself on my To Do list for today. But, there it is. I leave for Camp Mighty in a week (ONE WEEK) and ohmygosh I am trying like hell to get everything under control here before I leave. Starting with this list.

Let's start with my top five, shall we? Here is a list of my No-time-like-the-present, things I really want to do list:

1. Get my book published.

2. Drink 32oz of water each morning before I allow myself any coffee or tea.

3. Establish a daily yoga practice, heavy on the meditation and stretching, avoiding sun salutations whenever possible.

4. Create photo albums for my kids of their lives so far, to give them on their birthdays.

5. Take the family to Inishbofin to see my grandmother's house before it is sold (a race against time)

And now for the rest. Some brought back by popular demand and lack of motivation last year, others brand new and open to interpretation. Liberal interpretation.

6. Drive around the country (literally, around the perimeter: west coast, across the south, up the east coast, then across the midwest) with Sam and the kids in a VW bus, documenting the trip thoroughly - even the messy parts.

7. Take my kids to Lebanon to get to know their relatives and learn Arabic

8. Master a killer karaoke performance that will bring the crowd to it's feet.

9. Yoga retreat in India

10. Learn to can/jar things

11. Open a roller rink

12. Buy a small house right on the beach. On the sand.

13. Set up a sewing nook and sew some stuff.

14. Laser hair removal. It's time.

15. Have an apple tree in my backyard for climbing and snacking.

16. Become a competent surfer who can paddle out without making an ass of myself or getting tired halfway out.

17. Touch my toes.

18. Change the oil in my car.

19. Also learn how to use the jack. Why the hell not.

20. Live in a city and rely solely on public transportation

21. Be the primary breadwinner for a while.

22. Find the perfect pair of Red Cowboy Boots

23. Teach English in a foreign country

24. Write a wedding ceremony. Then marry people.

25. Learn to sail a boat then spend a week on a liveaboard crewing one

26. Raise chickens

27. Run for public office

28. Learn to like my big nose

29. Knit something that doesn't have holes and look dirty when I am done.

30. Dive off the deck of an overwater bungalow. Over and Over again.

31. Fly a plane

32. Have a regular column in a magazine

33. Springtime in Paris

34. Live in a hacienda with Bakey when we're old and gray with a hot pool boy/gardener and a masseuse(Can be the same person)

35. Pose for one of those costumed old-timey sepia photographs with Sarah

36. Play tambourine for Pearl Jam

37. Make croissants from scratch.

38. Become debt-free

39. Raise my children to be amazing, kind, generous, loving people who can support themselves.

40. Have a bedroom that is big and bright, with a huge antique iron bed and lots of storage

41. Have a house with an AGA stove. A big AGA stove.

42. Go to a show on Broadway at night, all dressed up with a new makeover like Cher in Moonstruck.

43. Be able to live half the year in Maui and half the year somewhere else.

44. Forgive 2 people who have hurt me and who I no longer speak to.

45. learn how to play chess

46. learn how to rollerskate backwards

47. spend some time living in a farmhouse in France. Bonus points if David Sedaris is my neighbor.

48. have a long paved driveway that we can ride bikes and rollerskate on.

49. intern as a merchandiser at several iconic retail stores who's aesthetics I admire. Like Anthropologie.

50. Have a bicycle of my own.

51. Buy a large piece of land with friends and family, build homes, and share responsibilities and expenses as
a group. Stop calling it a commune, mom.

52. Buy a fabulous vintage ballgown and attend an event like The Costume Institute Gala at the Met.

53. get rid of those frown lines between my eyes. I frown too much, obviously.

54. Go to a really great music event like SXSW with my husband and discover new bands together.

55. find a way for my husband and Slam's boyfriend to jam with Eddie Vedder here in Hawaii

56. say "I'm with the band" and then actually get on stage and perform instead of just helping to plug in cords.

57. do a five minute stand up comedy routine at an amateur night

58. get a film role, even just a walk-on

59. win an award that I am proud of

60. start taking pictures again.

61. Make videos of the kids regularly.

62. Take a river cruise in Europe (France?) where I can hop off and bicycle around. Bicycle must have basket. Fresh baguette not optional. Pack neckerchief.

63. Make a list of amazing things to do when the kids say they are bored.

64. Clip articles I love out of magazines and file them so that I can actually find them again

65. Volunteer with Charity:Water in Africa.

66. Re-establish Sunday night dinner at my house, and have a circle of friends that join us regularly.

67. Have a hot tub in my yard.

68. Finish my epic tattoo, so that it actually tells a story and isn't a random bunch of small pieces.

69. Start speaking a foreign language at home with Sam and the kids. Maybe just in the car, or at dinner time
to start.

70. Create a family tradition for Christmas Day.

71. Only use the computer during working hours.

72. Live somewhere with an incredibly low cost of living, so I can have a $10 massage every day if I want to. Oh, Thailand, I miss you.

73. Teach my kids to be really good drivers.

74. Choose a beautiful, heirloom quality rug for the living room.

75. Stop keeping "the nice stuff" hidden away so it won't get damaged or worn out - use it and enjoy it every day.

76. Start storing things in glass mason jars instead of Tupperware.

77. Establish a cleaning routine that includes the inside of the fridge.

78. Date night once a month, with heels and fancy underwear. Like a real date. (Making out in backseat optional)

79. Go to the beach once a week, even just for a walk in the sand.

80. Find the perfect vintage cocktail dress

81. Bring Back "The Hive" - a ladies night.

82. Work on a presidential campaign at headquarters

83. Have a radio show

84. Try a new recipe for dinner every week

85. Keep a houseplant alive.

86. Host a clothing swap

87. Get professionally fitted for a bra at an atelier

88. Make pasta from scratch

89. Fly home just to make soupy with my family in January. It's that important.

90. Bring my grandmother out to Hawaii.

91. Install a fold-down ironing board so that ironing isn't such a hassle.

92. Have a fun, funky collection of something, like antique lighters or hats, or ????

93. Keep my car clean. No, really.

94. Tedx Maui. Someday I will have something to talk about.

95. Read the entire Little House series to Lucy, and then introduce her to some other favorite series. The Shoes books, for example.

96. Paint. On canvas. Yes I can.

97. Reorganize the closets. Lucky to have them, let's make the most of it.

98. Personalized note cards for gifts and thank yous

99. Stop letting money stress me out and make me feel bad. I give it too much of my time.

100. Decide what I want to be when I grow up

No comments: