Friday, August 20, 2010

Ya gotta love the enthusiasm

This morning we were driving into town, and there was a guy on the side of the road. He had a beat-up pickup truck, and leaning up against the side, and on the ground around it, were a selection of tools, lawn equipment, wood, paint, and assorted gear. He was holding a sign:

"I want to work.
I need a job."

If I had been able to get over to the shoulder, I would have hired him on the spot, just because.

I think that is the thing that is affecting me most about all of the people that we know who are currently unemployed, or underemployed, or (like us) employed but petrified of losing our jobs. EVERYONE wants to work. No one wants unemployment, no one is looking for a handout. Everyone is actively pursuing every lead, handing out resumes, sending emails, making calls, and now they are even standing on the side of the highway with a handmade sign, hoping that someone somewhere will hire them. Even for a day. Or a few hours.

And while I am thrilled to work - and want to work - and hope to work continuously...........I am afraid to take a day off to spend with my kids. I am nervous about taking a weekend off next month to celebrate my anniversary with a  romantic getaway. Beggars cannot be choosers, see. Because sometimes, no matter how hard you work, it's just the luck of the draw that finds you bringing home a paycheck or standing on the side of the road holding a sign.

No comments: