Saturday, April 24, 2010

For those of you that couldn't care less about the obligations of parenthood

I hear ya.

So, for all of you out there who have never had to wake up in the middle of the night to wipe someone else's ass (and KUDOS to you for avoiding it thus far)......Let's talk about something else, shall we?

Like my recent desperate attempts to hang on to my youth. Roller Derby. Tattoos. Piercings. Small fast cars with 6 speeds, 2 doors and no trunk space. Drinking and smoking and eating things that are bad for me.

When, exactly, do I have to stop entertaining these whims? Because I enjoy all of the above, and yet......I worry that perhaps I need to rein it in a bit.

I mean, I have, don't get me wrong. Trust me, I have. I even got rid of all of the dresses and shirts that would require going bra-less. Because, well, THAT was no longer an option. I was mature enough to recognize the effects of gravity. I'm not BLIND.

But a little bad is good. Just a little. A tattoo peeking out of the tank top. An occasional rocking of the hot pants. A teeny "Is that glitter or a nose stud?" piercing. A discrete flask for occasions when alcohol is needed but perhaps not provided. Maybe an ultra-light American Spirit from time to time. Perhaps a few Funyuns to get you through a rough day.

Is that so wrong? I hope not. I have a pair of sequined hotpants on under this robe, and pint of Ben and Jerry's hidden in the freezer, and that suits me just fine.

(This? Is me at my daughter's birthday party - no flask required.
It was a princess party, so there was plenty of champagne.)

No comments: