Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Fa la la la la

Hoooooo Boy. Did you know it's almost Christmas ? Yup. Sure 'nuff.
Almost. Christmas.

The reason I know it is almost Christmas is that yesterday was my son's birthday. And for the past 8 years, my son's birth has signaled the onset of the Christmas panic.

Of course, yesterday, I kind of, well, forgot. That it was his birthday.
I mean, I had remembered previously. Even the night before. But the actual morning of his birth ? Not so much, actually.

(cough)*asshole*(cough)

So my son went to school on his BIRTHDAY without me saying "Happy Birthday Baby ! You are my favorite boy ever !"

My husband called right after I got back from dropping hiim off at school (without saying Happy Birthday).

"Hi Honey. Just calling to say Happy Birthday to the boy before he goes to school."

"OH !" (panic - mind racing) "Um, Actually, he's already there !" (fake smiley voice sets in)

I immediately email his teacher - all caps - TODAY IS MAX'S BIRTHDAY. I AM BRINGING CUPCAKES. I didn't mention that I had forgotten to wish him a happy birthday,but trust me - by the time he got to class, he knew. The teacher told me later that he pulled his desk into a corner for reading and sat, alone, facing the wall.

I showed up at 1:15, with cupcakes and the Happy Birthday hat from Disneyland, in the shape of a cake with illuminated candles on top. I sang Happy Birthday at the top of my lungs. We came home and after dinner he got his presents - electric drums (from us) and a huge Star Wars Lego ship to put together (from Gran).

I think all was forgiven.
But it doesn't make it OK. Not at all.

Let's all breathe a sigh of relief that my prescription is due in the mail tomorrow, and in just a few days I should have my wits about me. And I promise I will not forget Christmas.

1 comment:

derfina said...

I have worse kid birthday stories, so don't beat yourself up. You have been through hell in the last few days and are probably still jetlagged. I doubt he's scarred for life! *wink*

*smooches*