Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Every little thing is going to be all right. Lyme Disease 0, My Marriage 15

It's late. I am finally, after several sleepless nights, almost feeling......tired. Maybe.

Just wanted to update the blog to say that the MRI was negative - which is actually a big positive. No signs of tumors, and no lesions or any other visible damage from the Lyme disease.

The antibiotic prescription has been extended for an extra week just to make sure they really zap it.

And tomorrow we celebrate 15 years of wedded bliss. Ups and downs, but mostly ups to be sure.

Today I walked around the mall waiting for Sam to let me know the test was done. I wore his wedding ring on my thumb. He had handed it to me when I got out of the car. I stood there, frozen and confused for a moment as his ring rolled around in my palm. It was all I could do not to cry. He looked at me strangely. "They said no jewelry or metal of any kind in the MRI suite."

Oh, right. The bad stuff is over. He'll be back in a little while. It's just a quick test. I forgot, everything is going to be all right. I know, because he has told me so over and over again the last few weeks - reassuring me even in the face of uncertainty and illness and conflicting information. Even as they were sticking a needle in his spine. "It doesn't even hurt!" he insisted. "I can't feel a thing!"

Tonight I am grateful for finding a person so wonderful that - when he became ill, and many other times before and since - I am reminded how lucky I truly am. A kind and gentle soul, a sweet and generous man, a loving and devoted husband, and a fun and firm father figure for our kids.

How lucky am I, right?

Yeah, pretty lucky. It's a good life, and I'm glad he's sticking around to share it.

No comments: