Saturday, June 26, 2010

I have found heaven, and it has central air

For the last two days, all I have been able to talk about, and think about, is the glory that is central air conditioning.

I have never lived in a house with A/C, and never much cared for it - but once you experience a few hours of the Virginia summer heat you quickly learn to appreciate how wonderful and miraculous it is.

So ever since I arrived at my uncle's house here in the moutains of Northern VA, I have been happily ensconsed in cool air. Not a drop of sweat, not a moment of discomfort related to the air outside. And it is lovely.

But then, last night, IT GOT BETTER.

I was standing in the bathroom, enjoying the nice fresh cool air as I brushed my teeth, and noticed something.
My feet? They were warm.
On the bottom.
The stone floor - the gorgeous stone floor (everything is gorgeous here) - was.......warm.

Oh my fucking god they have radiant heat floors.

So I did what ANYONE ELSE WOULD DO and I stripped down completely naked and lay on the floor. You know, just to be sure.

Yup, warm. The floor was warm.

I moved into my bedroom and lay back down next to one of the gorgeous rugs, directly on the tile.

Warm.

I lay there, on the stone, basking in the warmth. But it was warmer in the bathroom.
So I got up and trotted into the living room for further comparisons. Still warm. But not as warm as the bathroom. Plus, STILL NAKED. So I went back to the bathroom.

I am not going to lie to you. I considered sleeping in there, next to the tub. For the first time in my life, I was going to sleep on  the bathroom floor on purpose - not because I needed to or because I had no choice in the matter........but because I wanted to.

I guess this is what being a grownup is all about.

2 comments:

Judie said...

Hahaha! My husband just finished washing the car, and he came in and went straight to the pool and go in WITH HIS CLOTHES ON. There is something exciting about jumping in the pool with your clothes on, just like there is something delicious about sleeping in the bathroom! I get it totally!!

Elly said...

Hahaha, brilliant. That is definitely something I would do (I mean, really, who wouldn't wander around the house naked comparing the temperature of the HEATED FLOOR! That's awesome. Actually, awesome). :)