Sunday, June 6, 2010

Advice to my 21 year old self, who didn't need any advice, thanks.

I have read a few different bloggers letters to their 21-year-old-selves. I didn't write one, because my 21-year-old-self was living in a fucking fantasy land.

No, seriously, I moved back to the Virgin Islands about a month after my 21st birthday. Fantasy Land.

Now, I say "moved back" because I had lived there before. And frankly, by the time I was 21, I was starting to get a handle on things, and it was pretty clear how badly I had fucked up my life and I didn't need a lecture.

But I also needed a good stiff kick in the pants. I was so focused on partying and working and "living in the now" that I was forgetting that I was still only 21, and I still had time to make some major life changes. To take some risks that didn't involve marriage and/or alcohol.

So here is my advice to my 21-year-old-self:

Travel. See the world. Take an internship somewhere AWESOME and stick it out and wait for them to offer you a paying gig. Live in a city. Alone. Think long-term. Follow your dreams, instead of chasing penis. Penii. boys. I mean, don't get me wrong - penis chasing moving from city to city  because of relationships, as though I needed to be IN one in order to be validated, was a LOT OF FUN along the way. Furthermore, I do not regret marrying and settling down rather then trying to enjoy being single (WITHOUT spending the entire time looking for the next relationship). I don't like to think of living my life without my amazing husband and our kids, but........it might have been nice to actually see more of the world and work for a fashion magazine or a designer and follow my dreams a bit more then I followed the penis penii boyfriends.

So, there you have it. Do it for you, not for penis penii love.
My book of inspriational quotes should be published sometime next year.

1 comment:

Robbie said...

Loving your advice. Hope your inspirational quotes book has something in there about peni-, love. And penises.