Wednesday, October 7, 2009

In which I take two children to Disneyland and we all lived to tell the tale

So I did it. I took the kids to Disneyland by myself. And in the list of "reasons I am glad I am married" having a partner with which to do things like this is at the top of my list. Because doing it alone is a lot less fun, and a lot more HARDER (as Lucy would say).

We woke up on Hawaii time (which is to say, 3 hours later then usual). We staggered down to the lobby of our hopelessly hip downtown LA hotel, where all the men were wearing black suits and jaunty striped shirts and sunglasses that cost as much (or more) then the suits. They all had cellphone thingies in their ears (which still freak me out by the way - it gives the impression that the whole world is wandering around with some form of Tourettes, muttering and sometimes shouting at themselves.) We had breakfast. They served Nutella on the condiment tray. Max thought maybe he had died and gone to heaven.

We ate a lot of Nutella. How civilized.



Then we went and got Dressed ! For ! Disney ! We packed, we checked out, I found my way to the park (no mean feat, by the way) and we hustled to the gates with our passes clutched in hot sweaty little hands (mine included).

We grabbed a map and formulated a plan of attack. Space Blasters,Starwars, Matterhorn, Princesses, Toon Town, train to Autopia, Mad Hatter's tea party, quick escape with a stop for Princess Dress and Lego Set.

It went like clockwork, we were in and out in 5 hours, and lo and behold the gate was unattended and our parking was free. Hallelujah.

Everything was going so smoothly. So wonderfully. So beautifully. And then we got on the freeway, and the day came to an abrupt halt - along with the traffic. So we sat, and sat, and sat. My cousin called ot find out how things were going., I told her what was going on, and that I would call her again in a bit. And then, from across the highway, I saw it.



In N Out Burger. Yesssssssssssss.

And so ended our adventure in LA. Animal style - how apropos. We made it back to my cousin's house eventually, but with our bellies full of burger we didn't much care about the traffic after that. We caught our red eye out of LAX, and flew on to the East Coast as scheduled with only a brief delay at takeoff. I'm not an LA girl, but LA does have some stuff that doesn't make me sick something for everyone.

No comments: