Thursday, September 17, 2009

Yeah, you know what, PATRICK ? I'm not taking any crap either.

Listen, Patrick, I know. I know my kid is a spazz. He's eight. Pretty much all of his friends are total spazzes too. It's just how it goes. They can't help themselves.

That is why, when I introduced you to my son, I sat right next to you, to make sure he didn't spazz all over you or something. No yelling, no running, no waving his arms, or legs, or sticks, or legos, or palm fronds or whatever other damn thing he could find and wave in your face.

Because I get it. It's scary, and unsettling, and FUCKING ANNOYING OH MY GOD SO ANNOYING.

Which is why he was carefully instructed to ignore every natural instinct he had, and sit still (which, oh Patrick, was a feat in and of itself) and hold his hand out for you to sniff.

And you had no reason at all to snarl at him.

You just didn't.

But Patrick, I gave you the benefit of the doubt. I brought him back inside. We gave you some time. Then we seperated you from Boston - who is, granted, even more of a spazz then Max - and let you hang out by yourself for a bit. Have a nice quiet dinner. Chew a bone. Enjoy the evening.

And then, when Max quietly walked outside and again sat down next to me and held out his hand, you really could have given him a chance.

A sniff.

But no. For the next 12 hours, you did everything you could to make sure Max knew that you did not like him. Not. One. Little. Bit. It was heartbreaking to watch this all go down. Max reaching out, you rejecting him, over and over and over again.

And I have had enough passive aggressive bullshit to last me a lifetime, thanks. And this morning, when my son came into my room crying because of you, it was pretty easy to see what needed to happen.

You didn't like him. Or you were scared of him. Either way, this was not a love match. It's not fair to you, it's not fair to my boy, and as sad and awful as it was - I had to accept that this was not the right home for you.

I have to put my boy first, Patrick. He's my boy. He will never be calmer and gentler and more patient then he was today and yesterday. I was so proud of him. He wanted it so badly, your love and acceptance. He would have taken just your tolerance, really. He was trying his damndest to charm you. And if it didn't work for you then, it won't work for you later. I hope you find the family you are looking for. Or maybe you are hoping your old owner will show up and reclaim you - I can't blame you for that. No one likes to be rejected.

No comments: