Sunday, September 27, 2009

And that is that

Alrighty then. Everyone still with me ?

Today was my last day of work at the cafe for two weeks.


I am a little bit sad, and a little bit happy, and a little bit nervous about taking so much time off. (Though I am glad I have this flexible work situation, I sure do miss paid vacations....)

But mostly, I am lot excited to go to the mainland to see my family and my friends and IKEA.

I love IKEA.

It's not time to goYET, however, and now - right now - I am exhausted and emotional, and confused and confident and overwhelmed with everything I need to do before I leave.

I am making lists. I"m a list maker. And traveling presents the perfect opportunity for lists. I love lists. Or rather, I love checking things off lists and seeing the progress I am making through my day, my week, my life...because the days go by so fast sometimes, I wonder what I did that day ? I really do. And the lists, they help to answer that question.

Oh., I see. The reason I am still in my pajamas at 1:20pm, shaky and thirsty, is because I forgot to eat breakfast, and have spent the entire morning photocopying and faxing documents, and cleaning the bathroom. So it may not LOOK like I got anything accomplished, and yes I do see the dirty dishes and piles of laundry.....but have you ever tried to fax a 45 page document one page at a time on your trusty home fax machine ? I thought not. Turns out, it takes about 5 hours.

SO I am making my lists. And checking them twice. Tomorrow, the suitcases come out - something that always gets everyone in the traveling mood. Slowly over the next two days, I will fill them with clothes and gifts and rainbows and sunshine and probably some sand (by accident).

And at some point while the kids are at school I have a feeling I am going to sneak away to the beach and lie down and take a deep, deep breath of my beloved Maui. It is my home, in every sense of the word.....but where I am going ? Is also home. It's my roots. And New England is as much a part of me as the island life I have chosen for myself and my family. Somehow, the two manage to combine and grow together like vines....climbing and twisting and holding on tight.  These two incredibly different and very beautiful collections of people and places make me who I am - and to stay true to myself, I can never be away from either for too long.

No comments: