Monday, August 31, 2009

Masked Intruder

I know, I know, I have been gone for a few days.

Excuse me.

I had a good reason. I was feeling a little under the weather. One of those lingering coughs that just wouldn't go away. And when I threw out my back during a coughing fit on Saturday night, I decided that maybe this cough that I had been ignoring for a month might need a little medical intervention.

So I went down to the clinic, and the guy at the counter who registered me didn't even look my way when I walked up to his window - just grabbed my insurance card and started typing.

"And why are we here today ?" he asked, in a voice that showed that he really didn't give a shit *why* I was there, and actually, my being there was interrupting a really high stakes round of farkle on his facebook page.

"I have this cough, and it's been bugging me for a while and....." I trailed off, because he had now turned his back on me. He turned back around and practically threw something at my head.

"Put this on" he barked. "White side facing in".


I would just like to reassure everyone reading this, that yes INDEED it is embarrassing to wait in a room with 50 other people, who are obviously sicker then you, wearing one of these. To see the look of horror on the mother's faces as they stand up and move seats, hustling their kids to the far other side of the room while glaring at me for seeking medical attention. At a medical clinic during after hours care. How Dare I.

So as I assumed from the beginning, it was no big thing. Walking Pneumonia, Bronchitis, some other infection of the lungs....I wasn't contagious. They skipped the lung x-ray because it doesn't really matter what I have, exactly - whatever it was, I needed antibiotics, and I got them.

So now it's 10 days of shade, extra fluids, and yogurt.

Lots of yogurt.

No comments: