Monday, March 30, 2009

In which I allow my 8 year old to watch a SpongeBob Marathon for one full day of spring break.

I am a staunch supporter of mental health days.

So this morning, when I was leaving to take Lulu to nursery school down the road, and Max asked if he could wait for me at home, I said "okay".

It's the first day of the second full week of vacation, and last week the kid was dragged around, loaded on and off SIX planes, traveled through 4 times zones, woken up and put to bed at very odd hours, and forced to run countless errands, eat weird food, and wait around for other people. The one thing he has not gotten this vacation is some time to just sit on his butt and watch some cartoons without his sister pestering him and his mother ordering him around.

So I decided to cut him some slack.

Which is why my boy spent the entire day lying on his back, watching SpongeBob. And in a little while, I am dropping him off at tae kwon do to work out for an hour, also without my interference.

I know. I KNOW. It makes me shudder, just to think about it. Sponge Bob and exercise...I don't know which one I find more distasteful.

But this day was for him. He has done exactly what he wanted to do, when he wanted to do it, and you know - maybe if we all got a day like that once in a while, this world would be a nicer place.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hiya


Just saying hello while I read through the posts


hopefully this is just what im looking for looks like i have a lot to read.