Friday, October 24, 2008

Well, slap my ass and call me Sally

Yesterday, I received a call from the Principal. And an email from Max's teacher.

Max took the initiative to school one of his classmates in the fine art of eye contact. Max was trying to talk to a kid, who was trying to, you know, listen to the TEACHER. And when he did not make eye contact and engage in conversation with Max, Max smacked him.

Yeah. I know. Of course I am horrified ! Wouldn't YOU be horrified ? It's HORRIFYING !

This is the second time in the past few months that Max has decided that violence was the solution. This creates a pattern. Which I find worrisome. So of course, little Miss Type A got right to work. Phone conference with principal, numerous emails (several emails directly to Max's teacher) phone calls to my parents who are both K-1 teachers, and Nana Lori, who raised 4 girls basically single-handedly, and to the pediatrician (who answers her own phone and gives great advice) and I think we have a plan.

Max's teacher is going to provide a very brief behavior report each day for us, so we can be aware of what is going on, and any issues that arise.
Max is going to go see the school counselor to try to find some healthy ways to express frustration.
Max has an appointment with the pediatrician to request allergy testing. I have read that some food allergies can present as behavioral issues. So we need to make sure he isn't allergic to anything.

Max is on a very short leash (not literally, though that might make things easier). We are going to keep track of his diet, sleep, behavior, activity level, and anything else I can think of, to try to figure out if there are any connections. Because he cannot just go around attacking his friends when he get's pissed off. I mean, I want to smack people ALL THE TIME - but I don't. And dammit, he can't smack people either.

I am not sure what is going on, if this is "normal" boy behavior (Or normal 7 year old behavior) I just know I don't like it. And so, we have to figure out a solution, that we can all live with.

This parenting stuff ? It's hard.

1 comment:

derfina said...

ENJOY it now...It gets more and more complicated the older they get!