Sunday, August 31, 2008

Hey, you. Come rub my legs.

Oh. My. God.

I am old. Really, really old.

I worked ONE shift at the cafe today and I am about to saw my legs completely off to end the suffering. Thank god I have a drawerful of prescriptions, I am going to need each and every one of them in the next 24 hours. First I am going to lie down with my legs extended up along the wall. Hopefully, that will help, if not, I have a full arsenal of rubs and liniments and pills and hot and cold packs and mineral lamps and acupressure points and then, I will make my husband rub my legs.

OK, maybe I would want him to do that anyway.

But it was a great day, I was finally set loose to work and earn tips and meet the regulars and ohmygosh it was so much fun. Tourism is down, for sure, so it can be slow at points during the day, but that gives me a chance to catch up and drink some water and get some fresh air out back. The girls I have worked with so far have been really wonderful, some are mommies, all are very supportive and cool about answering my questions ("Where are the toothpicks?" "How do I add a side of rice?" "Oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck I really fucked up.....HELP?!")

And when I got home all exhausted and gross, I didn't have to cook dinner, because our darling neighbors had invited us over for a BBQ ! YAY !!!!!!! So I jumped in the shower, and Sami scooped up all of my tips for a post-dinner poker game (Um, not exactly what I had in mind for my tip money, but OK then) and we headed out with sausages and a plate of goat cheese and pepper-jelly crostini (don't knock it until you've tried it).

Now I am home with freshly bathed kids snoozing in their rooms, and Sami is doubling down with my tips if he knows what is good for him, and all is right with the world.

No comments: