Tuesday, August 19, 2008

"There's gold in them there cheese !"

Tonight I went to the local chain grocery store. Dubbed "the most expensive grocery store on the planet" by locals, it is not as bad as that...but pretty bad. I shop the sale items ONLY, and I will go weeks (months ?) without stepping foot inside. Tonight I needed a break, and decided to drive over there, get a Starbucks, and do some grocery shopping - ALONE. It's a sad state of affairs when going to the grocery store alone is a treat, but that is just exactly what it was. Plus I had a coupon for Starbucks, so all the better as far as I'm concerned.

Clutching my $2.00 Caramel Macchiato, I wandered up and down the aisles, browsing and planning menus in my head, and calculating how much I was spending per meal. I came to the shredded cheese. I was thinking making tacos, or chili, and I was going to grab some shredded cheese.

EXCEPT the price tag said $8.39.
I admit it - I panicked a little bit. OK, a lot.
HOLY CRAP ON A CRACKER. F*** ME!

I scanned the refrigerated case - that must be the FANCY cheese. The EXPENSIVE cheese. The GOURMET cheese. Maybe it was a huge AMOUNT of cheese? No. It was just plain old shredded cheese. Which is now, apparently, completely out of our price range.

Well, that answers that. No cheese for us this week. Moving on, I saw that prices in the dairy aisle settled down again. It was JUST the cheese - the SHREDDED cheese - that was so ridiculously overpriced. What are they doing to it ? Sprinkling it with gold dust ? Shredding it with diamonds ?

Oh well. It's bad for you anyway. F***ers.

No comments: